In the event you reside overseas, you’ve undoubtedly missed meals from dwelling. The manufacturers and meals merchandise we grew up with aren’t all the time accessible exterior the U.S. and that’s actually true right here in France. Typically I discover myself craving for a style of my childhood or a consolation meals that hits in another way than the French equal. In the event you’re inquisitive about what American meals aren’t accessible France, carry on studying as a result of that’s precisely what I’m entering into on this put up.
Meals counts for a lot. It may well carry individuals collectively, remind us of sure moments in our lives, and supply us with the comforts of dwelling once we’re so distant. Typically probably the most insignificant-seeming meals carry again wonderful recollections. Whenever you reside overseas and at last get your palms on that elusive pack of Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, it appears like a serious victory! No less than it does for me!
Earlier than I get into my listing of American meals you possibly can’t discover in French groceries shops, I’ve a fast disclaimer. These aren’t meals solely discovered within the U.S. or essentially American made. They’re meals you possibly can generally discover in American supermarkets, although.
Additionally, as I all the time say, this isn’t a judgment on meals within the U.S. or in France and my put up is supposed to be instructional. The 2 international locations are totally different so it is smart that sure issues aren’t accessible in France. Yow will discover wonderful merchandise on each side of the Atlantic. 😉
Talking of that, for all of your French grocery wants within the U.S., take a look at myPanier! They’re a beautiful French-owned on-line French grocery store with all types of goodies. I reviewed myPanier right here. They’ve on a regular basis grocery objects in addition to wonderful artisanal objects — together with a wonderful vacation choice. Use my promo code OUIINFRANCE for $15 off your buy of $49+.
11 Stunning variations between French & American supermarkets >>
Right here’s my listing of 6 American merchandise you possibly can’t discover in French supermarkets:
1. Pepperidge Farm Goldfish Crackers: Who else loves these items? Completely tacky with simply sufficient salt and a pleasant crunch, Pepperidge Farm Goldfish remind me of rising up in suburban NJ. I used to eat these as a child and I’ve by no means seen an analogous French product. Whereas there are little packing containers of Belin apéro crackers with a tacky style, I can’t say I’ve observed Goldfish or Cheeze-Its or something like that in France.
2. York Peppermint Patties: I like mint chocolate, and other than After Eight candies that are a lot flatter than Peppermint Patties (nonetheless good although!), there isn’t a lot that might examine to the darkish chocolate and minty goodness of York Peppermint Patties. And also you in fact received’t discover any in Christmas tree shapes or vacation colours.
3. Macaroni & cheese: Boxed and already ready mac & cheese in U.S. supermarkets is so commonplace that it’d shock you to study it doesn’t exist in France. It’s not a culinary delicacy or something, however as a broke faculty child, a field of Kraft Mac & Cheese was GOLD. Not in France.
You received’t discover packing containers of Kraft or Annie’s macaroni and cheese in any respect. It’s not a culturally French meals. The French do have coquillettes au jambon, which is sort of the identical concept (with ham), nevertheless it doesn’t are available a field and it’s not the identical factor (or colour!). Fortunately, American-style mac and cheese isn’t troublesome to make from scratch.
9 Useful French grocery retailer buying suggestions >>
4. Cartons of egg whites or Egg Beaters: Most Individuals are accustomed to the egg substitute Egg Beaters and the flexibility to purchase cartons of simply egg whites within the refrigerated part. Each are fairly regular. For individuals with excessive ldl cholesterol, the more healthy choices are simple to search out and handy. Egg whites are additionally nice for sure recipes and it certain beats losing a yolk when solely the egg whites are wanted.
However in France, egg whites usually are not accessible in cartons on the grocery retailer and I’ve by no means seen egg substitutes. Yow will discover bottles of egg whites on bodybuilder web sites the place you’d discover protein bars and that form of factor or giant portions at a restaurant provide retailer, however egg whites actually aren’t commonplace French grocery retailer objects.
5. Flavored espresso creamer (and non-dairy variations): Each time I am going again to the U.S., the choice of espresso creamer amazes me. I’m all the time in awe of all of the flavors and non-dairy choices as a result of none of that exists in France. You may taste your espresso with low-fat dairy choices, almond milk, pumpkin spice creamer merchandise, or about 50 different decisions within the U.S. For espresso lovers, it’s nice! A number of chilly brew too.
In France, the choice of espresso creamer (and chilly brew) is proscribed. You received’t actually discover half and half or something particularly for espresso within the refrigerated part. By the unrefrigerated milk, there’s a model referred to as Gloria that makes particular person creamer packs that are available sheets of about 10. You’ll discover all kinds of heavy cream and milk, however precise creamer — dairy or nut milk varieties — particularly for espresso isn’t mainstream. And neglect about any enjoyable seasonal flavors like egg nog or pumpkin spice.
6. Ranch dressing or dip: Ranch salad dressing and dip are each fairly widespread taste choices for salads and vegetable platters at events. You may even discover ranch chips. In France, ranch flavored something is tough to return by, because it’s not a style that’s actually recognized right here. Yow will discover salad dressing in France — there are a bunch of fantastic vinaigrettes — however there aren’t a ton of different choices and undoubtedly no ranch.
There are much more American meals objects you possibly can’t purchase in France, so that is simply the quick listing. Some others are: Canned pumpkin, refried beans, PAM cooking spray, Reese’s peanut butter cups, and common Cheerios.
Lastly, let me observe that whereas the meals talked about above aren’t generally present in France, it’s attainable that they exist someplace. Many French grocery shops have specialty aisles the place you’ll find meals from overseas. That mentioned, not one of the objects I point out are mainstream in French meals tradition.
What American grocery retailer merchandise do you miss probably the most in France? What are a few of your favourite French grocery retailer objects?
Disclosure: I’m an affiliate for myPanier.
Leave a Reply